Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes and Sausage is a surprisingly filling and tasty meal you can make in a flash. It’s sweet, savory, nutritious, and delicious! Plus, it requires just a few ingredients, so a quick trip to the grocery store is all you need to have din-din on the table in no time. Trust us, this one is a life saver!
Sweet potatoes paired with sausage is perfect for lunch, dinner, or a hearty side during the holiday season.
And if you’re a sweet potato fanatic, don’t miss some of our other creations featuring the orange root veggie like our buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants, while sausages provide protein, making this dish both nutritious and filling.
- The air fryer makes sweet potatoes crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and it cooks sausages so they have a really crispy skin.
- This meal is quick and easy to make. It cooks faster in the air fryer than in other ways, which is great for when you’re busy, especially on weeknights.
- Air frying uses less oil, so this dish is healthier than if you fried or sautéed it.
- The sweet taste of the potatoes goes really well with the savory and spicy taste of the sausage, making it a yummy combination.
- You can change up the kind of sausage and spices you use to make different tasty meals. Plus, it’s easy to add other veggies to make the meal even better.
- It’s great for preparing meals ahead of time because it reheats nicely and you can cook a lot of it at once.
- Sweet Potatoes – Use the common variety that you see in the produce section of the grocery store.
- Sausage – We really like a nice Polish sausage for this recipe. But you can use Italian, chicken, turkey, andouille or even chorizo and it will taste great.
- Onions – We like yellow onions for this recipe but red or white onions will work well too.
- Seasoning Blend – We used our favorite poultry seasoning blend minus the brown sugar for this recipe. But if you have a different blend in mind that should work well, too.
- Oil – Olive oil works great but so will vegetable oils or animal fats like duck or beef.
- Salt – We use kosher salt.
- Pepper – Freshly cracked black pepper is best.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes & Sausage
First, wash, dry, peel, and dice the sweet potatoes. Place them in a mixing bowl and season them well.
Next, slice the sausage and onions, then season them.
Place the diced sweet potatoes in your preheated air fryer.
After 8 minutes, add the mix of sausage and onions to the air fryer basket and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes.
Make It Spicy – Use a spicy sausage like Andouille and add some Cajun seasoning to the sweet potatoes.
Italian Style – Try Italian sausage and add some Italian herbs and a little Parmesan cheese.
For Breakfast – Use breakfast sausage and sage seasoning. It’s great with eggs in the morning.
Mexican Twist – Use chorizo sausage, add spices like cumin and paprika, and squeeze some lime on top. Add sour cream if you like.
Add Apples – Mix in some chopped apples with the sweet potatoes for a sweet and savory mix.
How to Store & Reheat
Once cool, store it in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Reheat in the air fryer at 350 degrees for a few minutes until heated through and the sausage is crispy again.
- Chop the sweet potatoes into even-sized pieces to ensure they cook uniformly.
- For best results, preheat your air fryer before adding the sweet potatoes and sausage.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes and sausage in a single layer to allow for proper air circulation and even cooking.
- Halfway through cooking, shake the basket or flip the sweet potatoes and sausage to ensure even browning.
Dice them into even-sized pieces for uniform cooking. Smaller pieces will cook faster.
No. The sausage can be cooked along with the sweet potatoes. Just be sure to preheat the air fryer so that your meal cooks evenly.
Yes. One of the easiest ways to switch up this recipe is to add different veggies like bell peppers or even Brussels sprouts. But depending on the vegetable you choose, cooking times may change.
Rosemary (a little goes a long way), thyme, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper are all great choices.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes with Sausage
- 1 Pd Sweet Potato
- 14 Oz Smoked Sausage
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees.
- You want to rinse and peel the sweet potatoes. Then, cut them into 1/2 inch pieces. Make sure they're all about the same size so they cook evenly.
- In a small bowl add the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes in a bowl and add the olive oil, and 3/4 of the seasoning mix. Toss the sweet potatoes to coat them evenly with the oil and seasonings.
- Add the seasoned sweet potatoes to the air fryer basket and spread them in a single layer. Cook the sweet potatoes for 8 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking slice the smoked sausage into rounds and slice the onion into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add the smoked sausage and onions into the same bowl you used to toss the potatoes. Add the remaining seasoning.
- After 8 minutes add the sausage and onions and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until crispy. Serve hot and enjoy!
- You want to rinse the potatoes to remove any dirt before peeling.
- You may need to cook these in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Depending on how you cut the potatoes they may need to cook a little longer.
- Store any leftover in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Reheat the potatoes at 390 degrees for 3-5 minutes.