With this Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Dip, you’ll be the hero of snack time and parties alike. It could even be a meal. You’ll find a quick recipe featuring juicy shredded chicken, cheese, barbecue sauce, cream cheese, and seasonings. You can whip it up in minutes and choose from various dippers like celery, pretzels, carrots, and more!
It’s so good you’ll want to whip it whenever you need a quick snack. It’s one of those recipes where you likely have all the ingredients on hand. And if you need to bring something to a potluck, this is the ticket.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a crowd-pleaser. Everyone loves this dip’s smooth, cheesy feel and the BBQ chicken taste. It’s a favorite for people, no matter how old they are. It’s a crowd-pleaser!
- Mixing BBQ sauce, chicken, and cheese makes a delicious flavor that’s smoky, cheesy, and hard to resist.
- The air fryer allows you to make the dip quickly. It’s great when you need a snack in a hurry or have friends coming over suddenly.
- This recipe is a great way to use leftover chicken you already have, so it doesn’t go to waste. It also makes getting your meal ready easier.
- Shredded Chicken – Chicken breasts are the healthier option, but you can use shredded chicken from any part of the bird.
- BBQ Sauce – Your favorite brands, like Sweet Baby Ray’s or Famous Dave’s, will work.
- Cream Cheese – Makes the dip nice and creamy and dippable. It should be at room temperature or softened in the microwave.
- Sour Cream – Sour cream adds a nice tang and thins out the dip a bit.
- Cheese – We like cheddar because it has a bold flavor, but you can use Monterey jack, pepper jack, or gouda.
- Mozzarella Cheese – For that nice stretchy cheese stretch.
- Onion -Red or yellow onion will work; just be sure to sauté them first.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Dip
First, you’ll want to sauté the onions in a skillet or frying pan. Now would be a good time to soften the cream cheese if you haven’t already.
Add all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
Add the dip mix to the ramekin.
After you cook the dip, top it with cheese and place it back in the air fryer. Then, serve it with dippers.
Spicy BBQ Chicken Dip – Add some chopped jalapeños or a dash of hot sauce to the mix for a spicy kick.
Bacon BBQ Chicken Dip – Mix in cooked, crumbled bacon for a smoky flavor.
Ranch BBQ Chicken Dip – Stir in ranch dressing for a creamy and tangy twist.
Caramelized Onion BBQ Chicken Dip – Mix in caramelized onions for a sweet and savory addition.
What Are Some Good Dippers for this Dip?
- Tortilla Chips – sturdy and taste good with everything.
- Pita Chips – crunchy and a bit salty.
- Crackers – any kind works, like saltine or whole grain.
- Bell Pepper Slices – colorful and sweet.
- Carrot Sticks – sweet and crunchy, suitable for dipping.
- Celery Sticks – crunchy and healthy.
Store the cooled BBQ chicken dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Soften or bring cream cheese to room temperature before mixing.
- Make sure the chicken is shredded into small pieces so it mixes well with the other ingredients.
- Stir all the ingredients together really well before putting them in the air fryer. This helps all the flavors blend together.
- Cover with aluminum foil to prevent the top from burning.
Cooked and shredded chicken, either from a rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken, will work.
Absolutely! While cheddar is familiar, you can use mozzarella, pepper jack, or any melty cheese you prefer.
Yes, you can prepare the dip ahead and refrigerate it. Just air fry it before you’re ready to serve.
It’s not recommended, as the creamy components may separate and change texture upon thawing.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Dip
- 2 Cups Shredded Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese Room Temperature
- 2 Oz Sour Cream
- 3/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion Diced
- In a small bowl, mix the 2 cheeses and set aside.
- Heat a pan on medium heat for 2 minutes, then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the diced onions and cook for 5-7 minutes or until onions are soft. Remove from the pan and allow them to cool.
- First, preheat your air fryer to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, put your shredded chicken, BBQ sauce, cream cheese, and about 1 cup of the mixed cheeses. Mix it all together until everything is coated evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe dish that will fit inside your air fryer basket and cover tightly with foil.
- Put the dish with your dip into the preheated air fryer basket. Cook it for around 20 minutes, but the time can change depending on the size of your dish. You want it to be heated through, and the top should get all bubbly.
- Uncover and sprinkle the rest of the cheeses on top, and cook it for another 2-3 minutes until the top is bubbling and lightly golden brown.
- When it's ready, serve your delicious dip while it's hot. You can enjoy it with crackers, celery sticks, carrots, or chips for dipping. Enjoy!
- You can use leftover chicken breast or rotisserie chicken for this recipe.
- Be sure to cover the dish with foil, or the top will burn before the middle is hot.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat the dip covered in an oven-safe dish at 400 degrees for up to 10 minutes. The time can vary based on how much dip you are reheating.
- If you forget to take the cream cheese out you can put the cream cheese on a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high setting for 10-second increments or until it’s as soft as you want.