These Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are so easy and good, you’ll want to make them all the time. Better yet, you can have the tuber on your plate in less time than it takes in the oven. You can enjoy them simply with a sprinkle of salt. But, with butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and candied pecans, it’s a flavor explosion! So we’re betting you’ve just found your new favorite guilt-free dessert.
Sweet potatoes are the kind of root vegetable that makes me feel good and energized almost immediately after eating them. Perhaps it’s because of the many nutritional benefits to sweet potatoes or placebo effect.
Whatever the case, they are good, good for you, and simple to prepare. We love to eat them all year long but they are a must-have around the holiday season.
And if you are anything like us, you can’t get enough of the orange root vegetable. So, be sure to check out this yummy buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potato recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Air fryer sweet potatoes are a hearty, nutritious, and delicious side that can go with many different meals.
- Cooking sweet potatoes in the air fryer is much faster than cooking them in the oven. This is especially good for summer cooking and cooking for 1 or 2 people.
- You can season them in different ways. For example, choose Cajun seasoning for a savory option or brown sugar and butter for a sweeter side dish.
- Sweet potatoes cooked in the air fryer reheat really well, making them a good choice for meal prep.
- The natural sweetness of sweet potatoes make them a kid-friendly choice.
- Sweet Potatoes – For this recipe, we used those familiar orange sweet potatoes you see in the produce section of the grocery store. For even cooking, choose potatoes that around the same size.
- Oil – We prefer olive oil but vegetable or canola oil will also work well.
- Salt – Use kosher or sea salt.
- Butter – for a rich tastes.
- Brown Sugar – for a deep, caramelly, sweet flavor, sprinkle on some brown sugar.
- Cinnamon – gives the dish a warm, earthy, comforting flavor.
- Candied Pecans – they are delicious and give the dish a nice crunch for a nice texture contrast.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Rinse and pat dry the potatoes and poke with a fork.
Then, brush or rub on oil. Bake in the air fryer for 40 minutes at 370 degrees.
Next, allow them to cool for 15 minutes. Cut the sweet potatoes open lengthwise and using a kitchen towel to squeeze them a bit.
Finally, lightly mash the potato with a fork as seen in the image above. Then add butter, cinnamon, and candied pecans if you like.
Savory Seasoned – Slice the sweet potatoes into wedges then toss them in oil and season them with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt.
Parmesan Crusted – Slice the sweet potatoes and coat them parmesan and herbs for a crispy side or snack.
Spicy – For a spicy kick, season sweet potato rounds with chili powder, cumin, and a touch of cayenne pepper.
Garlic Herb – Add a mix of minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, and butter to cooked sweet potatoes.
First, you’ll want to allow the potatoes to cool to room temperature. Next, place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to four days. For longer storage, wrap them individually and freeze for to three months. You may want to cut them in half lengthwise to store as individual servings.
To reheat, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees and air fry at 350 degrees for a few minutes until warmed through
- Pick sweet potatoes that are roughly the same size.
- Pierce them with a fork several times before cooking.
- There’s no need to turn halfway through cooking (this may slow the cooking process).
- Allow them to rest before serving.
- Use a kitchen towel when pinching the sweet potatoes before serving as they are piping hot.
Yes, as long as they fit in a single layer and there’s space for air to circulate around them.
No, wrapping is not necessary in an air fryer; cooking them unwrapped helps the skin become crispy.
While not always necessary, preheating can help cook the sweet potatoes more evenly.
Yes, the air fryer naturally makes the skins crispy, especially if lightly oiled.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes About 7 ounces each
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- Wash and pat dry each potato. Poke holes all over with a fork and drizzle with olive oil. No need to wrap in foil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the potato is fork tender.
- Once done, cut a slit in the top, then open the sweet potato and lightly fluff with a fork. Add some butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar or youavorite toppings and enjoy!
- Refrigerate sweet potatoes in an airtight storage container for up to 1 week.
- Reheat the sweet potatoes at 370 degrees for 5-7 minutes.