Hot honey butter tater tots – frozen tater tots air-fried or deep-fried or baked, then drenched in hot honey butter. You won’t believe how EASY they are to make. Look, we’re talking about a five-ingredient recipe here (three if you already have the hot honey). And most importantly, they are addictively delicious and PERFECT for a crowd. Enjoy!Jump to Recipe
Easy appetizers are confusing. It’s like, how can a recipe take like 20 minutes to make and taste better than something that took hours?
That’s why hot honey butter tots are so perfect. You can make them as a mid-week snack. And you can make a lot of them for a crowd.
Are you the mom or dad whose house all the kids like to meet? Or maybe you throw a lot of parties? Great! They make phenomenal finger food for a game day Super bowl party.
So cook these up and you can keep everyone happy while you work on the main dish.
Below, see the ingredients you need to make our hot honey butter tater tots.
- Tater Tots
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Apple Cider Vinegar
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Hot Honey Butter Tater Tots
First, you need to cook the tater tots according to the package instructions.
Typically, we like to deep fry tater tots and french fries as they end up crunchier and tastier. Then we fried the tots at 375-degrees for about three minutes. We had to cook four batches for a 32-ounce bag of tots.
But when it comes to feeding a crowd, you might opt for the air fryer if you don’t want to deal with the messiness of deep-frying. While the deep-fried tots were crunchier, the difference in taste was negligible.
You could probably fit half the bag per batch in the air fryer. But each batch will take ten minutes.
Of course, you could also cook them in the oven per package instructions. Whichever cooking method you choose, ensure that you don’t overcrowd the pan.
Combine a batch of hot honey with the recommended amount of butter for the hot honey butter in the recipe card below.
How To Cook Tater Tots In Your Air Fryer
Cooking the tater tots in the air fryer is actually very easy. You simply put about one-third (32-ounce bag) of the bag in the air fryer and cook at 400-degrees for 10 minutes. Make sure that you turn them halfway through.
You can store leftover hot honey butter in the refrigerator for up to three months (although it won’t last that long).
Hot Honey Butter Tater Tot Recipe
- 1 Bag Tater Tots
Hot Honey Butter Sauce
- 1 Cup Honey
- 2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- In a small pan add the honey, vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Stirring occasionally. Add the butter and stir until butter has melted. Let it cool for 15 minutes. Once cooled strain it using a fine-mesh strainer. Set aside.
- Use a dutch oven or deep pot filled with 2 inches of oil (about 4 cups). Preheat the oil to 375 degrees. When the oil is ready, fry in batches for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with a paper towel to drain. Continue with the remaining tater tots. Then enjoy!
- Store the hot honey butter sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- This recipe is also great in the air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees and cook the tater tots for 10 minutes. Make sure to flip the tots halfway.